It’s unfortunate, but true: gravity takes its toll on a face. Over time, skin may sag and move downward above or around your eyes. An eye area that’s rejuvenated will make you look happy, rested, and youthful; conversely, sagging and drooping can make you look tired or even angry. Even the most skilled makeup application can only do so much when excess skin or tissue is overshadowing your eyes. This is why brow lifts and eyelid surgeries are so popular.
Many people are unclear about the differences between these two procedures, and may think they need one when they actually need the other. If your eye area looks tired, droopy, or just less youthful than you’d like, discuss your concerns with a plastic surgeon. He or she can evaluate your unique features and help you determine which surgery might benefit you.
When a brow lift is best
A brow lift restores, tightens, and smooths the area above the eyes to give your face a more lifted appearance. In general, a brow lift may work for you if you have:
- Furrowed lines on your forehead
- Horizontal lines between the brows
- Excess skin and wrinkles on the sides of the face next to the outside of the eyes
- A naturally heavy or low-sitting eyebrow
Good candidates for eyelid surgery
Eyelid surgery, or blepharoplasty, can correct issues both above and below the eyes. It may involve removing or tightening excess skin and removing “bags” below the eyes. If one of the following applies to you, you may be a good candidate for eyelid surgery:
- Your eyelids are not visible at all with your eyes open
- Your eyelashes get pushed down by the skin above the eyes
- You have excess fat or tissue on the eyelids (this is often hereditary and can happen as early as the 20s and 30s)
- Your eyelids are sagging into your eye area (if it interferes with vision, this may be covered by some insurance)
For either of these procedures, it’s important to see a skilled plastic surgeon who has successfully performed eyelid and brow surgery. He or she will carefully examine your eye area and facial structure in order to determine which procedure will benefit you. In some cases, a conservative brow lift combined with eyelid surgery will provide the desired look. You want to look like a natural, more youthful version of you - so make sure the before and after photos you see look rejuvenated, not artificial.
To discuss the best way you can achieve a more youthful, refreshed face with eyelid surgery or a brow lift, schedule your personal consultation with Monarch Plastic Surgery.