Many women believe plastic surgery is only for the young. Yet when you look in the mirror, you might see fine lines, wrinkles, sagging skin, and fat deposits staring back. In fact, many surgical and nonsurgical cosmetic procedures are designed specifically for older patients. So, why deny yourself the opportunity to revive your appearance? After all, they say 70 is the new 50.
The golden years
In 2011, Marie Kolstad of Orange County, CA, was featured in a New York Times Health article about her decision to undergo a breast lift with implants at the age of 83. Marie kept busy with her full-time property management job, social calendar, and 12 grandchildren and 13 great-grandchildren, but wasn’t happy with her body.
“Physically, I’m in good health, and I just feel like, why not take advantage of it?” said Marie.
“My mother lived a long time, and I’m just taking it for granted that that will happen to me. And I want my children to be proud of what I look like.”
Marie is simply one of the numerous seniors undergoing plastic surgery procedures to refresh their looks and feel good about their personal appearances. Since the recession, the amount of people aged 65 and older has been growing and according to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, 84,685 surgical procedures were performed on these patients in 2010. The growing trend seems likely to continue as the number of baby boomers passing age 65 will increase in the future.
Ideal ages for cosmetic procedures
As the years go by, signs of aging increase. However, you don’t have to live with wrinkles and sagging skin for the rest of your life. Consider the following procedures and the ideal age for each:
- Botox: With an optimum age of 35 or older, you can treat those pesky permanent wrinkles that develop in your late 30s and early 40s with Botox.
- Eye lift: At age 40, you can lift your sagging eyelids or remove eye bags with an eye lift procedure.
- Facelift: Don’t wait for your face to begin sagging — consider a facelift or a a href="https://www.monarchps.com/mini-facelift-kansas-city">mini facelift when you reach age 45 to allow your younger, more elastic skin to help you look better.
- Lip enhancement: Your lips begin to thin in your late 20s, and the effect is noticeable in your late 30s, which is the best time (age 37 to be exact) to get a lip enhancement treatment.
- Breast lift: Once you reach your older years, gravity begins to take effect. Breast lift surgery is best for women at the age of 45.
- Tummy tuck: After you’ve given birth to your last child, you are a better candidate for tummy tuck surgery. This tends to occur around age 35 or older.
- Age spots: Intense Pulsed Light technology is a gentle laser treatment for age spots on patients aged 50 or older.
- Laser skin resurfacing: A very aggressive procedure, laser skin resurfacing is optimal for patients in their early 50s to treat sun damage, skin texture, and red veins.
- Kybella injections: The first and only FDA-approved treatment for contouring the chin profile, Kybella improves the appearance of moderate to severe submental fullness and studies have been conducted on patients age 18 to 65.
For more information about optimum ages for cosmetic procedures, visit DailyMail.com.
Although you may not think it, plastic surgery is acceptable and often encouraged as you grow older. With procedures designed to help you look and feel your best in your 40s, 50s, 60s, and beyond, you shouldn’t settle for looking old when you don’t feel old. It’s never too late to consider plastic surgery.
Curious about how plastic surgery can help improve your appearance? Request a consultation with our experienced surgeons at Monarch Plastic Surgery or call (913) 663-3838 for our Lansing, Leawood, and Lee’s Summit offices, or (816) 436-3262 for our North Kansas City location for advice on treatment options best for your body and the look you want.