Most women have established their skincare routines for every morning and evening and know when it’s time to transition from summer to fall and winter products. However, many of us don’t even think about a post-exercise routine. In fact, we barely have time to squeeze in the time allotted for a basic workout. But it’s essential to incorporate a separate skincare regimen after exercises to ensure your skin is happy and healthy.
Follow these Refinery29 tips to caring for your skin after getting your heartbeat pumping:
Pre-exercise skin care tips
- Remove your makeup before your hit the gym. We understand, you never know who you’ll run into at the gym, but your skin should be free of all makeup before you hop on the treadmill or stationary bike.
- Wash your face even if you’re not wearing makeup. Removing bacteria and other impurities before you work up a sweat can reduce your risk of clogged pores and acne.
- Use a cleansing cloth for areas prone to acne or folliculitis. Cleansing the chest, back, and shoulders with an antibiotic wipe can help prevent acne or folliculitis from forming on these areas. Afterwards, apply a hydrating oil-free moisturizer and don’t forget the sunscreen if you’re headed outside.
Post-exercise skin care tips
- Take off your sweaty clothes and get into the shower as soon as you’re finished exercising. Bacteria and yeast love warm, damp clothes, so leaving them on longer than necessary increases your risk for yeast infections, acne, and folliculitis. Rinse off with a gentle hydrating cleanser in lukewarm water if you’re short on time, or use a cleansing cloth on your body if you don’t have time to shower.
- Wash your face with a gentle cleanser. Remove the sweat and grime from your workout and any equipment at the gym you used. Not only can it cause acne, but also bacteria may be present if someone didn’t diligently clean off the machine before you used it.
- Splash cool water on your face if it’s very red. This cools your skin and reduces redness by constricting blood vessels. You can also use a hydrating mist or a calming alcohol-free toner with rosewater.
- Use blotting papers for oily areas. Even normal skin can be more sensitive after a workout, so save the heavy-duty acne or anti-aging treatments for later.
- Skip a heavy foundation if you have to wear makeup after your workout. Heavy foundations can turn out bad if you’re still overheated post-workout. Try a tinted moisturizer or BB cream and use a cheek stain or a tint to keep those rosy cheeks.
Need help finding the perfect products for your post-workout skin care regimen? Talk with our expert aestheticians at Monarch Skin Rejuvenation Center at (913) 317-9386 for our Leawood office or at (816) 436-3262 for our North Kansas City location or request a consultation today!