Before any plastic surgery, you can expect to have a consultation with your doctor about the procedure, what you want to see in your results, and other considerations. If you don’t go in prepared with the right questions, you may not know everything you should before you undergo the procedure.
Keep these five vital questions in mind when you attend your plastic surgery consultation:
- What are your qualifications? You want to trust your doctor is qualified in the field, so it’s important to ask how much experience he or she has in the procedure you are considering. Your doctor should be certified as a plastic surgeon by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and be able to explain the type of training he or she has in the specific procedure.
- How often have you done this procedure? Knowing your doctor is skilled in the procedure you’re considering will help you feel at ease and know you’ve chosen the right surgeon for the job.
- What are the potential risks and complications? It should raise a red flag if your doctor promises a risk-free procedure, because there is no such thing. Your doctor should provide you with a list of the possible risks or complications as a result of undergoing the procedure you want.
- Where will the surgery take place? Find out if the procedure will be performed in the doctor’s office, a certified surgery center, or a neighboring hospital where your doctor will be equipped with the best instruments and emergency medical attention should it be needed.
- Do you have hospital privileges? If you do need to be admitted to a hospital, you want your doctor to be able to continue treating you, because he or she knows your medical history and everything involved with the procedure.
Bring these questions from Health.com with you to your consultation, along with any additional questions you have about the procedure you’re considering. Your doctor and his or her staff should provide you with the most important information you need to know to make a final decision about undergoing plastic surgery. If you don’t feel comfortable or that you were provided the right amount of information, you may want to consider a different plastic surgeon.
Are you interested in improving your appearance through plastic surgery? Request a consultation with Monarch Plastic Surgery, or call us today at (913) 663-3838 for our Leawood and Lansing offices, or at (816) 436-3262 for our North Kansas City location to learn more about your options for plastic surgery.