We all want to have a natural-looking, youthful face. As time marches on, however, you may find that aging can take its toll on your face, even if you’re healthy and taking great care of your skin.
In the interest of finding something inexpensive, quick, and easy to reverse the aging process, some people have turned to facial exercises. Wondering if these might work for you? Here’s the scoop on this trend:
- Facial exercises will not work for everyone. If you have only a few fine lines and your skin still retains much of its plumpness and elasticity, then facial exercises might be worth a try. But deep wrinkles, sagging skin, discoloration, and other signs of aging simply cannot be corrected with exercise. These are issues within the skin, which have nothing to do with the muscle underneath. Think about a woman who gets back into great shape after pregnancy. She may have rock-hard abs, but if her skin has been stretched out, no amount of exercise will tighten that skin.
- Don’t do anything that makes you pull on your skin or scrunch your face in unnatural expressions. This could make wrinkles worse. You want to treat your skin gently. Remember, most wrinkles are a result of repeated facial expressions. That’s why Botox® works so well — it relaxes certain muscles that have caused frown lines or other wrinkles from years of moving your muscles in certain ways.
- Beware of websites and businesses that want you to pay for their “secret” recipe of exercises. There are plenty of free informational sources out there that you can try before you decide to pay any money for a facial exercise regimen.
- Facial exercises won’t replace good skin care and a healthy lifestyle. If you decide to try facial exercises, make sure you continue to follow healthy habits. A healthy lifestyle and excellent skin care habits are proven ways to preserve your youth.
- Much of the aging process happens from the loss of collagen and elastin in the skin. Exercises won’t give this back. Dermal fillers, on the other hand, can restore plumpness and firmness by rejuvenating your skin with ingredients designed to mimic the look of younger skin. You’ll see results immediately, and there’s no downtime.
If you have concerns about facial aging, there are many safe and effective ways to regain your youthful appearance. From minimally invasive Botox and dermal fillers, to a Monarch Mini Facelift or a traditional facelift, your plastic surgeon can guide you toward a treatment plan that is right for you.
Are you interested in restoring a youthful look to your face? Talk to our skincare experts at Monarch Plastic Surgery about your options by Requesting a consultation through our online form, or calling us today at (913) 663-3838 for our Leawood and Lansing offices, or at (816) 436-3262 for our North Kansas City location.