Breast surgery — particularly breast augmentation — is a popular procedure around the world. If you’re not pleased with the appearance of your breasts in some way, you may be wondering if breast augmentation is a good choice for you.
But, remember that cosmetic breast surgery can include more than augmentation. Many women achieve outstanding results with a breast lift or even a breast reduction, depending on their individual figures and unique shapes.
Which procedure do I need?
Surprisingly, many women go into a plastic surgery consultation with breast augmentation in mind, only to discover that a different procedure or combination of procedures will give them the best results. Sometimes women see a friend or even a celebrity that has undergone breast augmentation surgery and expect that the results will be similar on them.
An experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in breast surgery is the best person to give you an objective viewpoint. He or she can recommend the procedure(s) that may benefit you based on your shape and desired outcome. Here are some different ways breast surgery can benefit women of all body types:
- Breast augmentation is best for women who desire a volume/size increase, and who have healthy, elastic skin and good breast placement on the chest.
- A breast lift is often needed for women who have experienced drooping or sagging with age or after pregnancy — regardless of their current breast size.
- Women with larger breasts that are sagging may only need a lift to get the look they want.
- A breast lift will alter the breasts’ appearance and can even make them appear smaller in some cases, particularly on the upper portion of the breast. For this reason, many women combine a breast lift with augmentation to get their desired look. A breast lift may also be helpful in restoring nipple placement to a more aesthetically pleasing location.
- Some women with sagging breasts may find that they have more than enough breast volume already. In this case, a breast reduction combined with a breast lift may be recommended.
- Women who experience pain or discomfort from large breasts, or whose breasts are too large in proportion to her figure, may benefit from a reduction.
Each type of breast surgery has its own purpose, and one cannot substitute for another. It’s important to get the opinion of a qualified plastic surgeon before you decide to undergo breast surgery. Your surgeon can help you decide what would give you the best possible results.
Curious about how cosmetic breast surgery can help improve your appearance? Learn more about the procedures by downloading one of our free breast surgery e-books The basics of breast augmentation or Is breast reduction right for you? If you’re ready to begin improving your appearance right now, request a consultation with our experienced surgeons at Monarch Plastic Surgery or call (913) 663-3838 for our Lansing, Leawood, and Lee’s Summit offices, or (816) 436-3262 for our North Kansas City location for advice on treatment options best for your body and the look you want.