Does your skin feel dry, tight, rough, scaly and sensitive?… but oily too?
Does your skin look dry, flakey, and rough?… but oily too?
Is your skin DRY or DEHYDRATED?…Is there a difference?
Yes, there is a difference between dry and dehydrated skin, but sometimes it is hard to determine which condition you are dealing with, often you can be experiencing both.
Most people purchase an oil based moisturizer if their skin feels tight and dry and has a dull, flakey appearance. This may not be the best choice of product for dehydrated skin. When your skin is dehydrated it is lacking water not oil. Our skin cells need water, which makes them appear plump and supple that in turn gives our skin a natural hydrated glow.
Dehydrated skin can be rejuvenized by using skin care products that contain hyaluronic acid. Monarch Skin Rejuvenation Center offers several choices of products that contain hyaluronic acid….Monarch HydraBoost Gel, Monarch O2 Lift Mask, NeoCutis Bio Serum, Lumiere Eye Creams, Skin Medica Ultra Sheer Moisturizer, iS Clinical Reparative Moisture Emulsion and EltaMD Clear SPF 46.
Some other ways of combating dehydrated skin are:
- Proper diet, exercise regularly and drinking plenty of water
- Staying consistent with your daily skin care regimen
- If you use acne products which can dehydrate skin, balance the dehydration by adding an oil free hyaluronic acid product
- Cold air can be very dehydrating to the skin. During the winter months, hydrate the skin while it is still damp to lock in the moisture and keep the skin covered when exposed to the elements
If you have dry skin it can look and feel dry, tight, scaly and might even be inflamed and sensitive. Wrinkles and fine lines can be more pronounced. Dry skin is lacking sebum which is the body’s natural oil. A thin layer of natural sebum is healthy for our skin, it helps to protect it keeps the skin hydrated.
Skin care products that contain niacinamide and ceramides are best for dry skin types. These ingredients help hold in the skins natural oils without adding “extra” oils to the skin that can cause congestion and breakouts. Niacinamide and ceramides increase the lipids in the outer layer of the epidermis that help shield the skin against moisture loss and protect it from bacteria. The products offered at Monarch Skin Rejuvenation Center that contain niacinamide and ceramides include: Skin Ceuticals Resveratrol BE, EltaMD Barrier Renewal Complex, EltaMD Daily SPF 40, Bioelements Kerafole Mask and Colorescience tint du soleil.
Some other things you can do to help relieve dry skin are:
- Avoid using harsh products that can strip the skins natural moisture barrier
- Use a moisturizing cream based cleanser followed by a gentle alcohol free toner to balance the PH level of the skin
Although some of the characteristics of dry or dehydrated skin are very similar and can cross over, talk to your aesthetician to find what products and skin care regimen will work best for your skin.