It’s been drilled into us to wear sunscreen every time we’re outside for long periods of time, either laying out at the beach, swimming at the pool, or picnicking at the park. We all know that wearing sunscreen can help protect us from harmful rays, and keep wrinkles and premature aging at bay. However, even with our adoption of this wonderful habit, we learn we can always do it better. The truth is we need to be wearing sunscreen every day to protect us from not only outside sun exposure, but the exposure we get throughout the day.
Here are all the sneaky ways your skin may be getting exposed to sunshine during each day:
- At work — UVA rays can penetrate windows and cause damage to your skin at work.
- On a cloudy day — you should always wear sunscreen on a cloudy day because you can get just as sunburnt, if not more, with cloud cover.
- On a plane — UVA rays can penetrate airplane windows too and you’re much closer to the sun 20,000 feet into the air.
- In your car — resting your arm out the window or even sitting in direct sunlight with your windows rolled up leaves your skin is exposed to harmful UVA rays.
- Through your clothes — even with a cover-up, your skin can be exposed to sunlight through your clothes as the SPF varies from about a 4 with loose fabric to a 12.
- In the water — water washes away sunscreen so it’s a good idea to reapply every hour. Beware that you are being exposed to more reflected light from the water if you’re on a boat, jet skis, or paddle boards.
- Through your sunscreen — sunscreen can protect you, but you need to ensure you are using a “broad-spectrum” sunscreen that really works to keep those UVA and UVB rays at bay.
- On your scalp — be sure to apply a little sunscreen on the part in your hair to prevent sunburn or even the development of melanoma.
Learn more about all the ways your skin is exposed to the sun throughout your day and how to protect it from Refinery29.com.
Are you interested in improving the appearance of your skin? Request a consultation with Monarch Skin Rejuvenation Center, or call us today at (913) 317-9386 for our Leawood and Lansing offices, or at (816) 436-3262 for our North Kansas City location to learn more about how to achieve beautiful skin.