May is Skin Cancer Awareness Month, which is an ideal time to learn more about how to keep your skin happy and healthy as temperatures rise and summer approaches. Every year, the Skin Cancer Foundation reminds people to be mindful of sun exposure with these great tips:
- Spend time in the shade between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- Avoid allowing your skin to burn when in the sun.
- Avoid using tanning beds.
- Wear clothing that covers all exposed sun (i.e. a broad-brimmed hat and UV-blocking sunglasses).
- Apply and reapply broad-spectrum sunscreen with SPF 15 or higher every day.
- Apply one ounce of sunscreen to your body at least 30 minutes before heading outdoors.
- Limit sun exposure to newborns, and use sunscreen on babies over the age of six months.
- Examine your body for skin irregularities on a monthly basis.
- Visit your doctor every year for a professional skin exam.
Learn more skin cancer prevention on the Skin Cancer Foundation website.
Are you interested in improving the appearance of your skin? Request a consultation with Monarch Skin Rejuvenation Center, or call us today at (913) 663-3838 for our Leawood and Lansing offices, or at (816) 436-3262 for our North Kansas City location to learn more about how to achieve beautiful skin.