It may not be anyone’s favorite topic, but it’s a very real concern for many people: incontinence. The issue itself is fairly simple. Muscles naturally lose their strength for a number of reasons, and we lose some of the ability to control them. This commonly occurs with the pelvic floor muscles — the layers of muscle that support the bowel, bladder and uterus — which in turn can lead to an uncontrollable or leaky bladder, otherwise known as urinary incontinence.
Though exercising and maintaining a healthy diet goes a long way in keeping your muscles strong, some muscles — like the pelvic floor muscles — are especially hard to target and strengthen on your own. That’s where EMSELLA comes in. Monarch is proud to be the first plastic surgeon provider in Kansas City to offer this new and innovative technology to our clients!
What is EMSELLA?
EMSELLA is a revolutionary, zero-downtime treatment for men and women that targets and strengthens the pelvic floor muscles using electromagnetic energy. EMSELLA is getting your confidence and stride back and being a happier you!
How Does It Work?
During the EMSELLA treatment, the patient sits on a special chair that transmits thousands of high-intensity focused electromagnetic (HIFEM) waves to stimulate and strengthen the pelvic floor muscles. Best of all, it is completely non-invasive — you remain fully clothed, and you’re ready to head back to your busy schedule as soon as you walk out of our doors. All you need to do is sit down and let EMSELLA do the rest! Treatments last for 28 minutes each, twice a week, and span across about six sessions in all.
Wondering what to expect? When the EMSELLA procedure was examined in a clinical study published in 2018, the findings were overwhelmingly positive! Here are just a few of the key takeaways:
- 75 percent of patients significantly decreased urinary leakage (or achieved total dryness) and maintained these results through follow-up.
- Treatment with the HIFEM technology significantly improved quality of life (QoL) scores in all patients.
- The majority of the patients decreased usage of hygienic pads to a minimum or totally eliminated usage.
- No adverse reactions were observed by participants.
- The study concluded that "HIFEM technology significantly reduces incontinence in post-partum and menopausal female patients who present with all types of urinary incontinence."
Are You a Candidate?
Anyone who wants to put their urinary incontinence behind them and get on with living a more fulfilling life is a candidate!
If you’re ready to start your EMSELLA journey or have any questions, don't hesitate to call us at 913-317-9386 (Leawood) or 816-436-3262 (North KC), or schedule a consultation on our website.