Your abdominal area is one of the main focal points of your figure. It’s also one of the most challenging to tone and shape. Loose skin from weight loss and pregnancy, stretched muscles, and excess fat all play a role in having a less-than-desirable tummy.
It’s no wonder the tummy tuck procedure continues to be popular for people of many ages and body types. A toned, tightened abdomen can instantly improve your appearance, making you look more slender, eliminating muffin top or embarrassing rolls, and helping your favorite jeans look amazing again.
Like any plastic surgery, you need to talk with a board-certified surgeon to learn whether this procedure is right for you. Here are some facts that can help you determine whether you may be a good candidate for this procedure:
- It’s not a weight-loss procedure. So, ideal tummy tuck patients have a stable weight and are not planning on losing many more pounds.
- It’s a great post-pregnancy procedure that can restore muscle tightness, eliminate loose skin, and get rid of that annoying belly fat once and for all.
- People who have lost weight may find that a tummy tuck really gives them that fit, lean appearance that is often not possible with diet and exercise alone.
- It can be combined with liposuction if excess fat needs to be removed, but this is based on each individual patient’s needs.
- Like any plastic surgery, patients should be a non-smoker in good physical health.
- If you plan on having more children, or think you may lose a significant amount of weight in the future, it may be best to postpone the surgery. You can discuss these factors with your surgeon.
Perhaps one of the greatest benefits of a tummy tuck is that it may motivate you to continue living a healthy lifestyle. In fact, studies have shown that people who have excess skin removed after weight loss are more likely to keep the weight off longer. It’s easy to see why: when you don’t have excess skin and fat covering up your hard work, you’ll probably want to keep that beautiful shape for as long as possible. Sticking with your healthy diet and exercise program will be enjoyable because you’ll see the rewards in the mirror.
Are you interested in learning more about tummy tuck surgery and whether you may be a good candidate? Download a free copy of our ebook All about abdominoplasty to discover how a tummy tuck from can help you get a slimmer, smoother abdomen.