The nose is arguably the most important feature on your face. Its prominence plays a major role in your overall appearance, and it also needs to have proper shape and function for breathing.
Rhinoplasty, or plastic surgery of the nose, has the ability to correct many different types of issues with the nose. Sometimes an accident or a medical condition requires reconstruction of the nose, and other times, heredity or even aging can make a person unhappy with their nose’s shape or size.
Rhinoplasty is a highly individualized procedure that tends to be very different for each patient. But despite the many sizes, shapes, and types of noses, there are common reasons that so many people choose rhinoplasty. They include:
- Crooked nose. Accidents or injuries can break the nose, causing a crooked appearance once it heals. In some cases, people are born with a nose that may appear crooked on the face. A crooked nose may cause breathing problems, and insurance will often cover all or part of the procedure if breathing needs to be improved.
- A “hump” on the nose. Many people inherit a hump or bump on the bridge of the nose, giving them a facial profile they don’t like. The hump can become more prominent with age as the tissues in the nose lose some of their strength. This hump can be reshaped to a more pleasing size with rhinoplasty.
- A wide nose. Heredity can often cause the nose’s bridge to be wider than desired. In addition, many people choose to have a wide or “bulbous” tip corrected or minimized with rhinoplasty.
- Aging of the nose. The nose does not continue to grow as we age. But, changes to the facial skin and weakening of the nose tissues can cause a variety of changes to the nose’s appearance. These include a drooping tip, a wider appearance, and a more prominent hump as mentioned above.
- An unbalanced nose. Nose shapes and sizes tend to run in families, but it doesn’t mean you have to live with the one you have. Some people simply have a nose that doesn’t fit their face, whether it’s too large, too small, or a shape they don’t like. Rhinoplasty can improve upon many different types of noses, which can truly highlight the beauty in the rest of your face.
Because the nose is such a delicate and important feature, you should choose a plastic surgeon who is highly skilled and experienced in rhinoplasty. The outcome of rhinoplasty depends heavily upon the surgeon’s ability to give you a balanced, attractive nose that fits your face and looks natural.
Are you interested in learning more about how a rhinoplasty can enhance your beauty? Request a consultation with Monarch Plastic Surgery, or call us today at (913) 663-3838 for our Lansing, Leawood, and Lee’s Summit offices, or at (816) 436-3262 for our North Kansas City location to learn more about your options for plastic surgery.