If you’ve thought about getting breast augmentation, you’ve probably imagined yourself with your new breast size and how it would make you feel. That’s a great starting point, but you’ll also need to talk with a plastic surgeon so you can get a realistic idea of what’s involved.
Here are some pointers to get you started:
- You’ll need to be flexible about your implant size. Your surgeon will work with you to give you the size and shape you desire. But your expectations and wishes will need to be combined with your surgeon’s knowledge and expertise for optimal results. He or she will work with you to give you the look you want — but it’s not as simple as saying, “I want to be a 34 DD.” A woman’s natural bone structure and shape need to be taken into account to give you a balanced, beautiful look. Trying on implants will help a lot with this process.
- You’ll need a few weeks off from vigorous exercise. Although you can return to work and low-impact activity within about a week, some activities will need to be avoided for several weeks. This includes jogging, jumping, high-impact aerobics, and similar activities. If you’re anxious to get back to exercise, talk with your surgeon about low-impact workouts that will be right for you.
- Your post-surgery breasts are not the final result. In the days and early weeks after your breast augmentation, your breasts will be changing. Swelling will subside, and they will settle into their natural position as the muscles relax. For this reason, you should wait several weeks before purchasing new bras.
- You shouldn’t expect to look exactly like your favorite celebrity. Your breasts have a natural size and shape that cannot be completely altered with surgery. A good breast augmentation will look like you, only fuller, more youthful, and more attractive. It shouldn’t look like someone else’s breasts were placed on your body.
- The psychological side matters too. Think about why you want breast augmentation. Is it to give you more self-confidence, or to give your breasts the fuller, more feminine look you’ve always wanted? Great. Breast augmentation is perfect for you. But if you’re doing it to please a significant other, or because you think someone else wants you to do it, you could end up unhappy in the end. Plastic surgery should be for you, and only you — never to please someone else.
Would you like to learn more about breast augmentation? Download our free e-book, request a consultation with Monarch Plastic Surgery, or call us today at (913) 663-3838 for our Lansing, Leawood, and Lee’s Summit offices, or at (816) 436-3262 for our North Kansas City location to learn more about your options for plastic surgery.